If you have a young, wiggly child with apraxia, try these apps. We think they are the best new apps for apraxia in children who are low verbal and nonverbal:
Talk Tales: Simple Words (App Store) https://onelink.to/krth7m
Talk Tales: Simple Sounds (App Store & Google Play) https://onelink.to/wj4hjq
What makes these apps great, and different from other apraxia apps?
1. The target words are designed to be engaging. Most other apps require the child to "work" and then be reinforced by a game. The Talk Tales apps have animated characters or action videos/buttons that are the target words. Therefore the target itself is designed to be engaging, reinforcing, and the game.
2. Each target word has a corresponding video of a mouth with cues of how to produce the target word.
3. The apps are presented as stories rather than "work" or "flash cards"
4. Talk Tales: Simple Words has engaging songs to help with auditory processing and excitement about the target word.
5. Talk Tales, Simple Sounds has a movie that includes all of the words learned in each story (there are 3 stories in this app)
6. Each app has a corresponding free practice sheet to help children generalize targets outside of the app
7. Low price that is affordable to families and SLPs: $11.99 per app with no subscription
Who designed them and why?
The Talk Tales apps were designed by Vanessa Zimmer-Powell, MA CCC-SLP. She has been treating children with childhood apraxia of speech for over 20 years and is a member of the Apraxia Kids directory. She was motivated to produce these apps because she was on a quest to find something that would help young, wiggly nonverbal and low verbal children focus on how to produce target words and couldn't find any other apps to help with that. She and her colleagues have been using the apps at her office, and the kids love them. As of March 2023 they became available to the public.
Demos of the Apps and Free Practice Sheets:
Talk Tales: Simple Words
Targets include: (C1V1C1V1 (ex: mama), C1V1C1V2 (ex: baby), CVC (ex: bed), CV (ex: no).
App demo: https://youtu.be/jfd-ukzR0bQ
Link to free downloadable practice sheets that go with the app: https://www.talktalesbooks.com/download-simple-words
Talk Tales, Simple Sounds
Targets include: Vowels, Exclamations, Animal Sounds (V, VC, CV, VCV, C1V1C1V1)
App demo: https://youtu.be/EBzAwH5m_Pw
Link to free downloadable practice sheets that go with the app: https://www.talktalesbooks.com/download-simple-sound